Monday, March 2, 2009

EZ's Adult Surprise Jacket

Joining the Ravelry KAL for EZ's Adult Suprise Jacket is going to be fun, but I think I may be working on this forever! Larger size, smaller gauge to get the firmer fabric I want for an outdoor garment, and having a couple of other projects on the needles doesn't add up to this being a quick project.

I'm knitting this from stash...Somehow I managed to collect a lot of Cascade 220 in sort-of-go-together-colors, but not bought with anything particular in mind. Of course, there's not enough of any one color to make anything more than a shrug (how many shrugs do I want?!?) so a striped jacket is looking like my best option. So I started by swatching, for gauge of course, but also to get an idea of how the colors play off of each other. That's when I realized that Cascade 220 is a light worsted, with emphasis on the "light". In order to get a firm enough garter stitch fabric that won't be too flimsy to wear as a jacket, I'm down to size 5 needles. Size 5! I'll be knitting this into 2010.... Plugging in my size and gauge (5 sts/1"), I need to cast on about a zillion stitches LOL!

Once I got over the shock of that, I keep changing my mind about what colors I'll be using (there's a little Noro Kureyon, Malabrigo, worsted weight alpaca, Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed, and Reynold's Odyssey thown into the mix). Swatching the stripes has made for some pleasant surprises....and a few that I rejected. (Yikes!) Of course, I'm sure I'll change my mind at least a dozen times once I start working on this... I've studied the projects posted on Ravelry, trying to see where this jacket actually starts at the cast-on. I truly can't figure it out! ::sigh:: This will be interesting.

So....just cast on already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment